Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kaniskina walks faster than I can run



Some things seem impossible. Today, I read that a woman has walked faster than I could run, and in pouring rain, too. And a man who recovered from leukemia, swam faster and further than anyone could.

World champion Olga Kaniskina of Russia battled through heavy rain in Beijing to set a new Olympic record of one hour 26 minutes and 31 seconds in the women's 20km race walking event.

Kaniskina led from start to finish. She said the weather had not otherwise affected her performance. "It had no influence on me. It was better than a sunny and hot day. I didn't feel it was very slippery. I was in good condition. I think my regular training is the most important factor contributing to my victory."

And in pouring rain Dutchman Maarten van der Weijden won the inaugural men’s 10km swimming marathon in one hour, 51 minutes and 51.60 seconds.

"I think the leukemia taught me to think step by step," said van der Weijden after the event. "When you're laying in the hospital bed and feeling so much pain and feeling so tired, you don't want to think about next week or next month, you're only thinking about the next hour.

"You just be patient. You lay in your bed and just wait. It's almost the same strategy I've used here, to stay in the pack, to be patient, and stay easy just waiting for your chance."

van der Weijden was diagnosed with leukemia in 2001. He came back in 2003 and began swimming faster than before he had the disease. He now goes around raising awareness for leukemia. "Because of the treatment I got, the stem cell transplants, I had the luck to recover," he said. "The stem cell transplants are because of research worldwide for cancer. So everyone who donates money, donated money in the past, I'm grateful too or otherwise I wouldn't be here."

Read more of the Olympics.

No comments: